Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Very Beginning: A Very Good Place to Start

     I've always thought of myself as a writer.  Unfortunately, besides the Great American Novel that is in progress inside my head (not unlike half of the American population), the only writing I've ever done has been for the sole purpose of receiving an excellent grade in order to boost my GPA, which is a situation that has not been relevant in my life for more years than I care to contemplate.  So, I've decided that if I'm going to try to pass myself off as a writer for more professional purposes, I should probably do some actual writing - even if it's only for practice.  

I've always had a love / hate relationship with the process of writing:  I love the process of putting words down on paper (or screen), and I love forming sentences and coming up with the cleverest of words and phrases so that whoever my reader is (mostly my teachers) enjoys the experience of reading it.  And this is also what I've always hated about it - the massive struggle to come up with the cleverest of words and phrases, which leads me to the reason behind my blog title and the biggest handicap to my writing- 

     My name is Jane, and I am a compulsive proofreader.  

So far, I have read back through what I have already written here no less than 6 times and have already edited several words and sentences.  Oops, just did it again.  A few more times.  


Strength or weakness?  I guess it depends on how pressed I am for time.  But I can guarantee that I'll sit here and stare at the post button for more than a little while before I click on it, re-reading this again for anything I can do to improve it.  At some point, I'll just have to tell myself to be done with this one and move on.  Now seems like a good time to do that - my 2-year-old has gotten a hold of some chapstick.  But not before I read it one more time.....
     

No comments:

Post a Comment